Embajadores de Salud improving the health of Latino families
Our Embajadores de Salud program is committed to educate and improve the community well-being. The program started as a series of lectures back in 2013 with a handful of people. Today, the program has several components including Yo Puedo, a wellness program based on health education and physical activity, Charlas en la comunidad, that provides lectures around health topics of interest for the Latino community, and Summer Lectures, a condensed series of lectures on health topics offered by doctors and Hopkins students, during the summer, hosted in a faith based organization. The program counts with more than 40 consistent Spanish-speaking participants, and more than 300 Latinos who attended the educational sessions, and events within 2015 alone!
The program has been awarded with the Johns Hopkins Bayview Community Service recognition (including the program as a priority to serve the community), the Johns Hopkins Alumni Association Small Grants (2014 and 2015), and the Johns Hopkins Student Assembly Community Affairs Project Fund (in partnership with the Latino Public Health Network, 2015).
The program is expanding in 2016 and so are the benefits of health education and physical activity, addressing preventable diseases like diabetes. The support and hard work of Bienestar, a student association at Johns Hopkins, has been fundamental for the program operations at all levels, from volunteers, to exercises, to health presentations, and basic health screenings.
Services provided to the community are free, and include child supervision.
Los servicios proporcionados a la comunidad son gratis, e incluyen supervisión de niños.
Important dates/Fechas importantes:
- Yo Puedo, sesiones de los Sábados continúa el 9 de enero, 2016, 9am. Resume January 9, 9am.
- Centro SOL/Bienestar Feria Anual de Salud, enero 30, 2016, 10am en John Ruhrah, Annual Health Fair takes place on January 30, 10am at John Ruhrah elementary/middle school.
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center/Healthy Community Partnership
- Latino Medical Student Association (LMSA)
- Latino Public Health Network (LPHN)
- Medicine for the Greater Good
- Sacred Heart Church
- Gallery Church
- Living Classrooms
- Friends of Patterson Park
- John Ruhrah
- Patterson Park Public Charter School
- Baltimore City College High School
- A todos los miembros de la comunidad comprometidos con su salud y la de sus familias